Saturday, February 5, 2011

Down in Africa?

This year, I will be spending my summer in Boma Ng'ombe, Tanzania, and I tell you, I couldn't be more excited! In case you didn't know, I have been accepted as a volunteer for a non-profit humanitarian organization called HELP International. HELP International truly lives up to its name: they have been helping to reduce poverty in some of the poorest communities throughout the world for the past 12 years. The cool thing about HELP is that they aren't the kind of charity that just collects money and gives it away to people. HELP International and their volunteers are involved in hands-on projects aimed at alleviating poverty through projects that are focused on sustainability and increasing self-reliance. Some stats that you might be interested in: 
  •        8410 served with visual health through screenings, eyeglasses and cataract surgeries
  •        5424 people taught Nutrition, Hygiene, Sex-Education and general Community Health lessons
  •        4036 helped through AIDS advocacy activities
  •        Construction of various Health and Sanitation Facilities, Classrooms, illiterate-friendly Hospital signs, Mushroom Homes and Chick Farms benefitting thousands
  •        872 involved in improved Literacy and English campaigns
  •        836 students empowered through Music, Drama, Art and Soccer Camps
  •        674 taught skills related to Leadership, Computers and Conflict Resolution
  •        465 school children taught Drug Education
  •        293 trained on Square-foot Gardening and Vermicomposting with 158 Gardens built
  •        160 trained, 58 Adobe Stoves built
  •        148 trained for improved Micro-Finance loaning and Business Consulting
  •        69 Special Needs Children and teachers engaged in therapy and learning activities as well as 17 empowerment themed wall Murals painted
  •        38 Lepers given care and attention
  •        29 trained on Bee-Keeping ventures
  •        1 Recycling Program implemented
All this impact was for the year 2010 only, across all the communities that HELP is involved in. The cool thing to think about is the cascading impact of these projects. The aid and help provided to all these people is meant to keep passing itself along. If you want to learn more about what HELP is all about, feel free to contact me, or visit http://help-international.org/.


I know that are so many people out there who would love to do something like this, but have many other commitments and obligations that hold them back. I just feel so lucky to be in a position in my life where I can be involved first-hand in such a humanitarian effort! Plus, I'll be in Africa, in the shadow of Mt. Kilimanjaro, and from what I hear, in a setting that looks like it came straight out of The Lion King. I am so excited!


If you want to be a part of this with me, please feel free to donate to help me fund my expedition. It's super easy, and seriously, every little bit goes a long way. You can either mail a check to:


Help International
455 N. University Ave. Suite #212
Provo, Utah 84601
(Write "Seth Gwartney" on the memo line of the check)



Or, you can donate through PayPal online at http://help-international.org/donate-now. If you do it this way, just be sure to click the "Designation" link before confirming your payment and write "Seth Gwartney" in the box that appears.


I will be updating this blog as regularly as I can while I am in Africa. Everyone is welcome to follow the progress of the various projects I will be involved with, but I especially invite the gracious donors who have invested in this effort, so they can see the change that they are a part of.


Thanks, everyone!

1 comment: